Thursday, July 5, 2012

This should be profound.

But I don't think I can muster it. If only because I feel so incredibly anxious about going home, I'm not quite in a "reflecting" mood since that will just increase my sweat.
I think I actually feel more anxiety about going home than I did about coming to New Zealand... I don't know how it turned out that way since for so much of my trip I dreamt of the day I could go home and be embraced by familiarity.

Now that it is here, though, I feel a foreboding sense of dread. Perhaps it's because it's no longer just a distant dream, and since it has now become reality all those cute little fantasies of arriving in the airport are replaced with surreal images of me sitting in my living room a week from now, looking through my New Zealand photos while, in the next room my mother rests after her chemo treatment. I stay on the couch all night as most of my friends are out of town and the few that aren't are at a Televermin concert, which I will refuse to attend because it's too frustrating trying to fit my new self in with my old life... especially since my old life has moved on without me anyway.

Before now I pictured home as it was a few years ago, not as it is now. The same problem occured when I worked at Channery Hill. I'd always picture home as it was when my parents were still together and before I'd had a broken heart-which seems to take another beating everytime I return. But upon my arrival, time catches up with me, and I realize what I was really looking forward to were only memories.

I suppose this time I'm just trying to prepare myself for hitting that wall of realization.

Here's another aspect of why I may be so anxious:

When coming to New Zealand I had a return ticket. Going back to the US... well, if anything I have a "you must stay" ticket in the form of a college enrollment. I've checked out the Hendrix 2016 facebook page and it is absolutely overwhelming. So many of my classmates "can't wait till Aug. 14!" And they've all been keeping up with orientation details and meeting eachother and e-mailing their roomates... I feel so estranged. And if anything, their eagerness annoys me! There's a little voice in the back of my head saying, "don't you know how much work you'll have to do! How stressed you'll be! How little time you'll have! Stop wishing away your free time!!"

It will be an entirely different world for me. Here, life had very few obligations and I didn't have anyone putting pressure on me to excel academically (which, btw, always ends up being me). And I still sometimes wonder if I would have felt this un-excited if I had chosen Eckerd. But, I have my reasons, and I think with those reasons, I made the right decision.

And the final, obvious reason for my anxiety, is massive international plane travel including immigration and customs. If I actually make it to Nashville by my scheduled arrival time, it will be a miracle.

But enough. Although I spent this entire blog post explaining why it is I may have these negative feelings about coming home, I will wrap up by saying, I am still excited about seeing all of those people I've been missing for so long, even if it means struggling with life dramas. I love you all and I've missed you incredibly. I just wish I could gather you up and bring you into this mostly care-free world. Perhaps it would cure all the broken hearts, all the diseases, all the debt, and all the fear that is amoung us.

This trip has taught me, amoung a vast amount of other lessons, that life doesn't have to be so serious. It's just one life. We all live and die and what happens in between is ultimately irrelevant (except in relation to our mother earth, in which case, we should refrain from hurting her). So have fun, revel in love, take it slow, be kind, and just let the road take you. 

And I spose I should remember that, too. My road isn't ending, it's just becoming a little less foreign.


Until I see you, tomorrow (ish),

my love is sent.



SWEET AS, BRO

2 comments:

  1. You are every day inspiring. I can't wait to be home to see you and hear all about your adventures! You have been dearly missed, as well. :) Take heart and be brave.

    Love always,
    Dare

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just wise beyond your years Belle, that's all. And you're confronting the realization that clear-eyed wisdom like yours sometimes comes at a mean price. It's not always sorrow of course -joy brings a wisdom all its own- but if you're really paying attention? Life just plain hurts sometimes. But you've the strength to bear it kiddo, I know you do, and you will heal, because you have skills. Perhaps even a touch of the poet. You have a clear gaze, you pay attention, you understand, and you have a real gift for capturing and expressing the complex nuance of all that in your writing. That's no small thing.

    And you're right, our lives surely are in transition. We are turning a page, starting a new chapter, and we don't know for sure how that chapter's gonna go. Which can be scary. And/or, thrilling. But we're all striving to turn that page without losing sight of one another, and I'm confident we're gonna succeed. We love you fiercely Kelly, and we will always be your family. A damned fine family, says I, of which I am excessively proud of, scars all. We probably will scatter some, but families often do that, as a natural matter of course. It's not failure, it just our evolution. The book of our family is nowhere near finished, and while at the moment it may be hard to imagine, there are surely good things ahead too.

    And yes, for you a big part of this next chapter is college. Believe me; I get your anxiety. But let's talk; I'm a grizzled old veteran of the whole undergraduate deal, and have some perspective you might find valuable. (Trust me; you're gonna be fine.)

    Love you to pieces Belle, can't wait to have you home with us again. See you soon! (Yaaaaay!)

    ReplyDelete