Saturday, September 3, 2011

CSA HARVEST AND PROCESSING DAY

Harvest and Processing day!


This is every Wednesday and it's very fun. Basically, we go out and pick whatever is going to be in the CSA that week and then rinse and package them into 36 different shares and stick them in their appropriate bins and store them in the giant fridge, with the working shelves!


So this week we pulled carrots, which I did with Jimmy and got to learn a little more about him, which was nice. He's really cool, I like him a lot. Very laid back. So now, of course, i'm not so happy that he leaves at the end of the week since he's one of my only possible friends around here and he is going to leave. Oh goody!

I'll just get used to it–the whole people coming and going out of my life thing.


Anyway, we also picked sauté greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower. We washed em off with the hose and I got to know the processing station well. It was a good day, since it was a little bit less strenuous and we got to work more closely with everyone throughout the whole day.


In the evening, Jen's parents came, but since they got stuck in traffic we had to do little odd jobs until they got there. So I picked Channers, or rocks, and washed them off so that we could make little channers with faces for farmstolk.

As I was picking up rocks, the kittens began to surround me and I was in heaven, throwing rocks so they could hunt them…it was adorable! And then of course, because I was throwing things, the chickens assumed they were getting a snack and also began to surround me. It was quite a sight, apparently, since Jen said later that I looked like I was having a Dr. Doolittle moment!


So Katie left, and we got tired of waiting, so Jen, Jimmy and I jumped into the car and went into town to pick sumac, which was an awesome little excursion. Quite fun.


The first place we stopped was just on the side of the road near a stream and the majority of the trees were too tall for Jen and I, so after just a few minutes, we had harvested all we could and went to Peck's Market to pick up some groceries.

You see, there are no big chain stores around here. As far as I know, if you wanted to go to a target, you'd have to go on the interstate to get to one. Luckily, Peck's has everything I'd need. Not that I know how to actually get there yet.


But of course, while at Peck's, we also purchased a junk bag of funions (i don't know the spelling of that snack). And then finished the whole bag by the time we got home.

It was Jimmy's first time eating funions, and I'm happy to report that he did indeed have "fun." :-P


Also before we got home we made a few stops to pick more sumac and go on an excursion through some tiny town that I can't remember the name of, and of course we found just a couple places in that town where there was sumac to pick, and naturally there were posted signs saying "private property! something something something gun society!" so, we decided not to stop there.


Arriving home, we realized that the grandparents had finally come! And they are really just sooo sweet! Treated me as though I was family right away.


And you see, Jen's parents are from Connecticut, so they brought live lobsters! Now, I can't say I like seafood, but as far as seafood goes, I could understand why people like good lobster. And this was also my first time eating lobster, so they had to teach me what to do.


One direction was to take the claw, take the back end of the knife, and just smash the claw until it breaks! It's a little, uh, horrendous, getting to the meat. But it was certainly a fun experience. Probably my favorite meal so far, and it was the least tasty (to me. I much prefer grilled veggies)!


And in all? Probably my favorite day so far. The picking of sumac, the eating of lobster, the having of company–all made the day quite splendid!



OOh, I also learned how to lubricate things with solid gulf wax!


And that's that!



This is the sumac!

No comments:

Post a Comment