Saturday, September 3, 2011

Welcome to Channery Hill Farm!


FYI: I'm writing these in a weird order since I don't have a chance to write every day I just kinda write them all when I have free time. For instance, this one is being written during the hurricane, so I've already been on the farm for a week-but I'm trying to write them as though they go on a day by day basis. so yeah...


Welcome to Channery Hill Adventures!!


Channery Hill, wtf? Yes, I know…the last you heard me speak of farm internships, I spoke of Holton Farms, in VT. So how did I get to Calicoon Center in upstate NY?

I was on my way up to Westminster, VT. It had taken 3 days to get there and my mom and I were an hour and a half away when I finally got a call from Jurrien, one of the cousins who owns the farm, telling me that the season has been disastrous and they had to let all their interns go.


Yup, just as I suspected. Oh well, no hard feelings. He was very apologetic and I could fully understand how I slipped through the cracks. So here's what happened after I got that call:


My mother pulled Ruby over into a parking lot, where we became blocked in by a fire truck and an ambulance helping a girl in the car next to us. During this emergency, we decide to have dinner with my ol' friends, Corinne and Katie, along with their mothers, and then go stay the night at our cousins, the Racer-Rice house.


Of course, when we get to Ann and Thomas', we find out that their son Connor has gotten really into organic farming in the past year and is currently working on a farm at Martha's Vineyard. Oh of course! Now my luck changes!

AND today is his day off, so we can actually call him! He basically gives me a bunch of links to helpful sites where i could find some other possible internships.

So, I send out some emails, hear back from a few farms and I take interest in Channery Hill since in their response, they seem genuinely interested in me rather than "oh, we'll talk-send us your farming experience" even though I've already mentioned in my original email that I have NO farming background! :-p


Within three days I had snagged another internship. Can you say kapowza!? Yes? Okay-well that's unrelated. But anyway, I was excited.In the meantime, my mom and I had stayed with Carol in Boston and Kate in NYC. So we'd been to a lot of places.


Let me recap the trip:

Saturday we left Bowling Green at 3 pm and began the journey

Sunday we stopped at Niagra Falls and did a little touristing there

Monday we heard that my original internship failed, and we went to my hometown to eat dinner with my friends. Then we went to Andover and stayed with Ann and Thomas and had to turn down going to their house on the Island off of Maine.

Tuesday we went to Boston and stayed with Carol. This is where I first learned that too much rain can cause produce to split.

Wednesday we headed out to NYC and stayed with my sister. This is when I learned that I could meet Kai and Jen on Thurs. since they'd be in the city for a CSA drop.

Thursday we met them, and realized they were pretty awesome

Friday my mom and I caravanned up to Calicoon Center and stayed with Jen and Kai. We got a tour of the farm, met their friend Linda and their other intern, Jimmy, and did a little tour of Jeffersonville-a neighboring town.

Saturday my mother left and I moved in and began my internship.


What a ridiculous week, right? When I think of all that we did that week, it's just… a little mind boggling.


So, that's that. I now live in the Catskills, with lovely people, on an amazing farm, with outrageously beautiful views.


I'd say it worked out perfectly.





The images really don't capture it...

No comments:

Post a Comment