Saturday, January 21, 2012

Spring

As the end of my gap in my gap year comes to a close, (a forced, close, mind you. There are no set dates, no actual pre-set plans, I'm just getting restless of this "vacation" and know it's time to begin another adventure. Otherwise my fears of wasted time will come to fruition.) ... WOW that was a long digression, let me begin again.

As the end of my gap in my gap year comes to a close, I'm finally assessing my options.

The number one plan and desire on my list of possibilities is to travel and work in New Zealand for four months.
Learning how to travel independently, immersing myself in another culture, gaining new perspectives, continuing my work with the earth (ideally I'll be working on a farm, orchard, or vineyard), facing some fears, having some fun, and growing even more than I already have this year, in ways I am not yet aware of.

The problem with this, is I'm not entirely sure I can get a visa that will let me work without jeopardizing my ability to go back to NZ and do a longer working holiday. You see, the working holiday visa is good for 12 months, but it's a once in a lifetime visa. And quite honestly, I don't want to waste a 12 month visa on four months. I'd much rather save it so that later I can go back for the full 12 months.

So I'm looking into a way around this. Perhaps there are other working visas I could get for New Zealand.

The number two plan and desire on my list of possibilities is to travel and work in Australia for four months.
It's basically all the same things as NZ, except it's in Australia which, for some reason, just isn't as appealing to me. But hey, they've got a 4 month working visa. Fits my schedule perfectly.

In either scenario, New Zealand or Australia, I'd be going through BUNAC. It is a little costlier, but it gives peace of mind to me, and to my parents. So I believe it is worth is.

Here's their site: http://www.bunac.org/usa/

And the most recent desire and possibility on my list that is not yet ranked–studying buddhism, developing my growing life philosophy, and writing a book on the subject. So yeah, this one's a little more out of the water, but it excites me like no other. Jen always said her gut reaction to things was crying...for example when she saw an ad for an intern on a farm, she just started crying. That's how she knew she needed to pursue it.
Thinking of writing the book makes me cry. Perhaps it's the same thing.
My philosophy is still very under-developed, but it is growing, especially when I read literature on buddhism.

The three ways I can put to describe it are:

Striking a balance between surface reality and spiritual reality

Finding enlightenment in the "real world"

Attaining true bliss without the sacrifice of all earthly pleasures

Today I did my morning routine comprised of 50 sit-ups and, since it's the weekend, a 15-30 minute meditation (which often ends in failed attempts, but it's all in the practice. It'll get better). I finished with some chai tea while reading "coffee with the buddha," and while reading I had to stop and pause to think or to write as waves of new ideas flooded my mind. I've been dabbling in creating my own personal philosophy since the beginning of this year, but it wasn't until this morning that it really exploded into one big concept of idea. And I feel that my learnings can be turned into teachings and of course, those teachings could be turned into a book.

It's marvelous, really.

That is where I am, though. Iz all goood!

No comments:

Post a Comment