Monday, February 6, 2012

Hendrix: the decision gets tougher

Stars and glitter and excitement!

That's what I saw when I opened my Hendrix folder after waiting eagerly by the door for the mail to arrive. Which it didn't until 5pm. That is uncharacteristically late... I think the fates were messing with me, watching me squirm.

Anyway, here's the big reveal!

I was accepted to Hendrix! (whoo, big surprise there, I know)

But my scholarship awards are as follows:

Academic Scholarship for 19000 per year, amounting to a total of 76000 after 4 years.

Odyssey Distinction Award for 5000 a year, amounting to a total of 20000 after 4 years.

So in total, I would be given $24000 per year! Which is quite the honor. But of course, tuition is still roughly 34500 a year.

I now have to wait for them to process the FAFSA and see how much financial aid I'm eligible for.

As if the fates also know how hard my decision already is, along with my Hendrix folder three pieces of mail from Eckerd came as well.

An invitation to the prospective students visit days. And two postcards.

From my admissions counselor:
"It was great meeting you and your mom during your Eckerd visit! Have a blast in New Zealand! Hope to see you on campus in the fall."

From my tour guide, Taylor (who I'm a little in love with):
"Kelly, I hope you enjoyed the tour as much as I did! Hopefully Kentucky isn't too cold? Feel free to email me with any questions you may have at ----@eckerd.edu"

I'm certain these postcards are standard for all visitors, but still, it's a really nice gesture that says good things about the school. Plus, for the past week I've been trying to find a current Eckerd student to talk to, but couldn't find anyone to email. Now you can be sure I'll be emailing Taylor with plenty more questions! haha. Poor kid, he doesn't know what he's gotten himself into. :p

Hendrix v.s. Eckerd. 24000 v.s. 16000. Mountains v.s. Beach. Me v.s. Who I Want to Be.


Honestly, though. Why does college cost so damn much? Knowledge should be FREE!


And one other fun update, I have my backpack for New Zealand! It's huge. As tall as me if it sits next to me, so I'm sure I'll struggle with some 'turtle on its back' syndrome.

The best part? It cost us nothing! I have to thank my dear friend Ellie who is letting me borrow it. Ellie is heading to Nepal tomorrow. I will miss her so much! Can't wait to share adventures when I come back in July.

Strange to think about how much will be different by July. My next four years will be somewhat planned... which makes me more uneasy than comforted. I enjoy planning as I go, being locked into something for any large length of time makes me nervous. I will have close to 5 months of individual world travel under my belt, I'll probably have new friends around the globe, most of my current friends will be sophomores, and I'll be 19!

Let the adventures and decisions begin!


P.S. ALAN RICKMAN! I SAW HIM! Seminar. NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment