Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sex. For my Eardrums.

That would be jazz, my friends. I'm not entirely sure why, but I've grown up with this propensity for loving the sweet sounds of smooth jazz, and often times, not-so-smooth jazz as well. I believe it may have been instilled in me while I was growing up since NPR would always play it in the evenings and so it became associated with that calm time of day.

Within that, I've also always had a particular sweet spot for the saxophone. Strangely, I've never felt a huge desire to learn it, I just enjoy watching while someone else plays. And perhaps this is one of my few sexist thoughts, but a sax, to me, is really a man's instrument. Not that a woman can't play it–but I just don't associate the two. This love was, I believe, planted back on one of my birthdays when I went to the Hilton hotel in Nashville and I'd sit next to my window and watch the man in the lobby go at it with his sax. There was nothing I enjoyed more.

Sadly, though, I know very little about the genre and only have one jazz CD! Apparently, I prefer to let it just pop into my life rather than actively seeking it, at least that is what it would seem from my lack of readily available music. That, I want to change.

If you've got CD's or songs you'd like to share with me, please do so, I would much appreciate it.



I was simply born in the wrong era..

2 comments:

  1. Here are some suggestions:
    Lester Young: The President Plays, The Kansas City Sessions
    Coleman Hawkins: Body and Soul (Bluebird Label), Coleman Hawkins in Europe
    John Coltrane: Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, Live at the Village Vanguard: Master Takes
    Dexter Gordon: Our Man in Paris, Round Midnight
    Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil, Adam's Apple
    Eric Dolphy: At the Five Spot, Out to Lunch
    Ornette Coleman: Ornette on Tenor, Soapsuds Soapsuds, Virgin Beauty, Colors

    Stream KMHD from Portland. Recommended shows: The Gold Standard, Something Different,Roots and Grooves

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you purchase any of the above start with Sonny Rollins, maybe Silver City.

    ReplyDelete