Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Honeysuckles are in Full Bloom


Why doesn't everyone revel in that??

How can one just pass by without a pause to let the senses totally succumb?

Fear of vulnerability, I guess.


As I was driving to the store today, a curiosity popped into my head: when do people stop trying to enjoy most every moment in their life?

I had my music up loud, the bass making the windows vibrate; my fingers tapped the steering wheel as my shoulders and head bobbed in time; my voice mumbling the unknown words until the chorus came and I could shout every line.

With a quick glance around me (at a red light!), I realized I was the only one immersed in any sort of moment... everyone else faced forward, expressionless, seemingly emotionless. As if this daily routine had beaten them into submission, they were no longer in charge of their everyday tasks, the everyday tasks were in charge of them.

It's so simple, though, to make even the chores somewhat entertaining with music. It's one of life's blessings, that and the smell of honeysuckle.

So when does it stop, and why? Is it something you grow out of with age? Is it because it's reckless to listen to loud music while driving and as you gain years you realize recklessness isn't worth the fun? I vow to never stop trying to have fun, no matter my age. I'll be an 80 year old still listening to LMFAO bumpin down the street in my little red car! (Ok, so maybe this fantasy won't be totally accurate, but I'll strive for it.)

One speculation I had was that perhaps it was the trap of contentment. Nothing's really wrong in your life, and you're definitely not unhappy, so you just don't strive for much else. It isn't that you actively avoid being happier, you just don't realize you need to be reaching for something better.

My personal experience with this was being in a long-term relationship. I was so... content. I didn't think I really wanted or needed much else because everyday I was happy with how things were. It wasn't until after that relationship ended that I really had to push myself and find other ways to make myself enjoy life. And that search revolved only around me, who I am. It doesn't rely on anyone else, which makes the rewards that much better. I can say that I'm happier now than I ever was while in the relationship (excluding the first couple of months), again, not that I was unhappy, I was just too damn content! And I do not believe it was the relationships fault, I just let myself fall into the trap of contentment that is provided. I now know more about my self and what I will do in future long-term relationships so that I do not fall victim to the same fate.

But I think that's what everyone has to do. They have to overcome the routines, whatever those may be, and find the fun within themselves and bring it out. With the abundance of sensory overloads in this world, it shouldn't be TOO hard. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment