Monday, May 14, 2012

Bon Voyage!

That IS what the cake read last night. Chocolate and beet root made by Emily for Piers, Steffan, Fanny, Melanie, and I since we're leaving Kerikeri tomorrow. Damn was it good.

It has been a whirlwind two months and although I am excited to begin my travels, I feel as though I'm leaving home AGAIN. My last day of work was yesterday and I should be ecstatic, however, I will miss my fellow packhouse workers, especially Diego... he was one fine specimen. :)
Driving away from Orangewood felt a little like driving away from BGHS on the last day of school. I realized while spending 10 hours with nothing but my thoughts  while grading kiwifruit, that I haven't had many scenarios yet in which I leave a way of life and know it will never again go back to that. Hmm, that sounded convoluted, but basically when I left high school, that was the closest thing to what I feel now. Except that now I'm not only leaving a job, I'm also leaving a family, a home, and a town that I am certain I will never come back to. (If I do come back to kerikeri it will not be with the same family.)

Because,as usual, I spent far too much time elsewhere ont he internet, I am INCREDIBLY antsy, I am going to sum up my two months with a list. Though, know that I am very angry with myself for not doing some serious writing. I haven't actually sat down to really write since I was back home in the states.

-made friends with people from all over the world: Germany, France, England, Japan, Scotland, Wales, Canada, Belgium, New Zealand, America, Korea, Chile, Peru, and plenty more.

-learned how to say "I am a dirty girl" in 6 different languages... watashiwa ko akuma American des; je suis une cochonne... etc.

-earned about 3000 dollars at my first job working in a Kiwifruit pack house, learning to enjoy even the shittiest of jobs.

-learned to live on my own. When I was sick, there was no one there to tuck me in; when I was tired, there was no one there to run my errands; when I hungry, there was no one there to make my food. Responsibility that you do not learn while going to school. Being thousands of miles from home does have its teaching advantages.

-often felt like I was in whoville while at work, since many of the older women working there look exactly like whos...

-bought my first alcohol,, mostly wine, but last night added finally went to the liquor store and made Kiwifruit vodka.

-fell in love with backpacking. It's hard, often, however, being around people with so many different backgrounds is really amazing and eye-opening. I'm learning things I never even thought about. For instance, in Korea, they don't have singular birthdays. Everyone gains a year on the  new year. My friend, Solin, is 23 in Korea, but here is actually only 21. I also know how to make Korean pancakes.

-Tried Genepi, a french drink from the swiss mountains. Delicious.

-Added some kiwi language to my speaking. I now add "as" to the end of everything without even thinking: sweet as, sick as, hard as.

-got engaged to a samoan kiwi boy with a large fro. ;)

-sat on top of a waterfall

-gained a SHITTON of weight

-went skinny dipping by myself in a stream during a hike

-learned how to cook steak

-witnessed a haka

-went on lots of hikes, some that lasted 3 hours or more.

--realized how much I miss farming...walking home from work one day, I passed a field of cows and was astounded with how nostalgic I became.

-learned that you really cannot run away from any of your problems...not even a little bit.

-was given numerous amazing compliments that boosted my life:
"you're probably the coolest girl I've ever met"
"I read your facebook timeline, and you are so cool! :)"
"How can you have ugly days when you're one of the prettiest women out there"
"I told this to everyone else here, and you know I don't lie, but when the girls get dressed up to go out, you're always the hottest"
"You should be a model" x 20
"If I hadn't have met you, I wouldn't have ever layed under the stars just chatting with someone, and my life wouldn't be complete."
"It sucks that you're leaving, I don't like many people, but I actually like you! You're the only person here no one can talk shit about. You don't gossip too much, you're really nice and polite yet you still stand up for yourself."

-bought dinner with my own hard earned money

-fell in love with a Chilean man...

-danced the night away in bars in Kerikeri

-had an adventure I couldn't have even dreamed of.

-plenty plenty more

I will miss you, Kerikeri, and this life I've been living. Onto more day to day adventures and the cold south.

...I wonder if I will ever be called Kentucky again...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, such life lessons you have learned! More than many "old" people have learned in their lives. Love you Belle.

    ReplyDelete