Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Journal excerpts

Sitting on the deck of our lodge in the coromandel: 9:00 am -why does such natural beauty evoke such strong emotions? Is that the evidence that our soul is tied in with this world, with mother nature? Perhaps deep down we humans are even aware of how rare these sights are; How the chances of this magnificent world existing are so minuscule that everytime we're looking at a miricale-an explosion of life? Last night after finishing the Tongariro crossing: We made it back to the emerald lakes, but this time using a much more treacherous path. Climbing up ice-covered rocks made for a slow ascent, but a fun one none-the-less! This time I did not feel as though I was about the keel over from exhaustion, making the entire journey much more enjoyable (the last time we went up I began to hyperventilate b/c I was too focused on how tires I was during the incline, but it was fine and the pain was definitely worth it!) I even did a side track up the Tongariro summit which I had to end before I actually reached the top due to the Ivey mountainside and my having improper equipment. I knew it was time to turn back once I started sliding down the mt.twas an incredible journey even still. At the top of one mt., volcano, tall thing, there was a shaft of heat that fanny, Melanie, and I sat in for lunch. The heat came from the ground so if you sat in one place for too long your bum would burn. I decided to attempt my own sort of hangi and duga hole, put my ham and cheese sandwich in it, covered it up. Sure enough, 20 mins later, the edges were toasty and the cheese was warm and melty! Innovation. I toasted my sandwhich in earth's oven! It was another amazing day with unbelievable sights and heaps of adventure. And my body feels well-excercised. All in all, with both days, we hiked/climbed 35+ km. that's roughly 22 mi. Bitch-ass!

1 comment: