Monday, October 3, 2011

A backtrack into the life of an intern farmer. Part 1

With October a KY winter has come!

I say KY winter because, really now, Kentucky doesn't experience "real" winters. But it is no longer pleasant going outside and it's impossible to brave the weather without a jacket. The sun is barely ever seen and the days keep getting shorter and shorter. The cows even went home!

I've never really experienced the winter blues, however, this year, I get it. Everything shuts down and the earth takes a long, deep breath to refresh and recharge. How else would spring be so brilliant?

Everything needs a break. Even mother nature.

I think more people need to realize that. Slowing down and really breathing is not a luxury, it truly is a necessity.

Unfortunately I can't start slowing down yet…nor can I start breathing with my allergies at the farm! I've had an extremely busy week since I got back from West Point, which now seems like a far distant memory. I'm now on day 45 of working here.

So let's backtrack and see if I can take this day by day.

The Sunday I got back from West Point, Tess and I finished our lower bed weeding, which is now already coming back with full force. Luckily, we've already dug all those potatoes, which are hard to find in those weeds when they get too tall.
We were then instructed by Kai to roll out the black compostable plastic in, our recently re-put up, high tunnel 2 and secure it with staples. And something else about the wind blowing uphill so make sure the plastic doesn't blow… but he had to go to Sebastian's soccer game.
okay. We were confused when we actually walked up there and began the task. But we got the hang of it and once we were done we knew we had done it right. And I was so proud I even took pictures! It looked pretty awesome.


But then, I found hell. Rotary Plowing. I've never done anything quite so physically difficult for me. And as much as I wanted to help Kai out (since he made it clear that he'd be willing to take as many breaks as possible) by the time I plowed just one row, I was nearing my exhaustion limit. Tess plowed two rows and later told me that she felt ready to pass out–so I think it was actually better that I stopped with just one. Sometimes, though, I wish I were a better intern. Like this instance. Ready to just jump in and give it my absolutely everything… but I've often found myself backing out of doing certain things, like putting the tractor in the garage or rotary plowing.

I guess I'll have to work on that.

Anyway, when I wasn't plowing (98% of the time), I was removing rocks from the ground Kai just plowed and moving them to the edge of the lower lower field. This was one of those greek myth type tasks. There's a never-ending amount of rocks and for three hours I picked them up, walked to the edge of the field, dropped them, walked back, picked up more rocks…repeat. It was draining in a very different way than the actual plowing. But I'd still choose moving rocks over plowing any day.

When Kai finally said it was time to go in I was almost ready to just fall over in the dirt. I slept well that night.

Oh yes, I believe this was also the day I saved the chickens and saw a bobcat! And by saw a bobcat, I mean, it was standing about 15 ft or less away from me (to anyone who's been to the farm, I walked out of the back door and was on the welcoming sidewalk, and the bobcat was basically at the steps of the front porch. So not far at all). It was pretty incredible, honestly. I don't say that around Kai, though. Since we've lost about 7 chickens to those beautiful cats.

Here's what happened:
I heard the chickens making a fuss outside, so I headed towards the door and on my way there I saw a chicken essentially fly past and I knew something was wrong so I quickened my pace and raced out the door. Sure enough, there was the bobcat. As soon as it saw me it turned and ran. The chickens were saved.

1 comment:

  1. You know, when you're doing 98% new things, I think it should be understandable that you don't try to do everything. The fact that you attempted to plow as much as you did and drive the tractor seems like it should overshadow the things you passed for good reasons.
    I didn't know bobcats were native to the U.S... hmm.

    ReplyDelete