Sunday, October 2, 2011

Time is flying!

Monday the 19.

As of tomorrow, I will have worked here a full month. ISN'T THAT RIDICULOUS!? Today is my 31st day working here. I still feel like "the new intern." I mean, that's how I would always introduce myself to people who came up to the farm! I don't know how I'm supposed to introduce myself now. :-p

Today was my first day working with…the new intern, Tess. She's really cool, and has a super junk/sweet tooth just like me! So we're going to share snacks. Her mom packed her with double chocolate ores, so ya know, I HAVE to befriend her! haha. It's really cool teaching her how to do all these things, and being someone that she can go to for questions. It makes me feel like I really know what I'm doing (often, I still don't though)! It's nice having someone to talk to while working though, makes it go by a little faster.

I've had to adjust to something new about every week I've been here:

1st week: Adjust to being at the farm
2nd week: Adjust to Jimmy and Kai leaving
3rd week: Adjust to Katie not working here anymore
4th week: Adjust to new intern coming in

It's crazy.

And the timing of all of this stuff is perfect, of course. For instance, Tess came right when I started enjoying being the only intern. But it's okay. I like her, so it'll be pretty easy adjusting to having her work with me!

Today we picked tomatoes, and I helped her figure out which ones were actually at first blush and which ones weren't. It was a little weird, since I still feel like it was literally just yesterday that I was trying to figure the same thing out for myself.
There are so many things that she asks that I remember wondering, and I don't remember when I actually got the answers…it was probably around the same time that this became my "home."

We also had to water Candice. This was the first time we've ever had to water anything in the field since I've been here. And it is a pain in the ass. We use firehouses attached to a fire-hydrant that uses water from our pond up the hill.
But the hoses are very finicky and there can't be any bends and it's extremely long! Both hoses together are, I think, 700 ft. And apparently watering was Jimmy's job, so anytime something would go wrong with the hose, Jen would blame it on him and say that she was going to have to smack him in the back of the head when she next saw him, which is probably never since there are no signs that he will visit. Anyway, that was just real funny.

Also, because we make references to Jimmy so often, Tess now believes he's the god of all interns, basically. haha

And then we did a bunch of work in the barn, moving stuff out of the barn, mainly, since there's just SO MUCH in there currently, and SO MUCH that has to be moved in there soon.

…I stopped writing there and have completely forgotten everything else that happened that day…

SO!

Here's the letdown of what's happened:
I continued working with Tess all week, and it's been fun getting to know her more. We get along quite well and spent most of the week weeding the lower potatoes. Now you can actually tell that there are beds in the lower fields! It's amazing!

On Friday, Sebastian had a play date after school and Tess, Kai and I put up high tunnel 2 again. However, before we could finish tying down the plastic, it began POURING! We got absolutely soaked and we couldn't even see the twine we were tying because it was flooding the rebar! So we finally ran inside and Jen gave us some towels and even made some hot chocolate. It was pretty awesome. So Tess and I sat down and picked Huckleberries and chatted, which is always a good way to end a day.
Which reminds me, on Thursday after we were done with chores Tess and I sat down and picked huckleberries while watching "Being John Malkovich." That movie is BIZARRE, though not quite as insane as "Enter The Void." Unfortunately, I was really distracted by Jen and Sebastian getting home, so I kind of lost track of the end of the movie.

Saturday was garlic fest, but unfortunately I had to miss it since I was going to West Point, which, I'd say was worth it. I got to see Duncan and it was a really awesome trip!
And I'll start with that on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment