Monday, October 3, 2011

A backtrack into the life of an intern farmer. Part 2

Continuing on with my busy week…

After a good rest from the plowing, Monday morning we began picking tomatoes.

As Tess and I raised high tunnel 1 it became apparent that this was to be no ordinary picking. There were more ripe tomatoes than I had ever seen! It was beautiful, but daunting. After spending 2 hours picking the tunnel tomatoes, we still had to harvest from the greenhouse and we had already run out of room for the tomatoes in the house.


And to think, the first day I worked here–the first time I ever picked tomatoes–all of those that we harvested fit in the windowsill in the kitchen.

So after about 3 hours of picking and repeatedly hauling 25 lb baskets to the house from the field, we had 257 lbs of ripe tomatoes!


After some rejoicing and some lunch, Tess and I went out to plant the newly tilled Hortense with Kale, Spinach, and Broccoli. I love planting things, because it gives me something to look forward to. And if the plants actually sprout and grow I can take pride in their success. This was our second day of planting together since we planted peas in high tunnel 3 that previous Thursday. However, it didn't make it much easier.

We started by making a walkway in the middle, which consisted of Tess and I walking with tiny steps down the middle of the bed. It was an amusing job, and I joked that this would look really good on my resume'.
The actual planting took a lot longer than we thought it would, as all things seem to. The seeder didn't really work so we had to ditch that contraption and plant by hand. Hoeing a trench, dropping the seeds, and using a rake to cover. It took a long time, but it wasn't too difficult. And we learned as we went along. I feel as though I know a lot more about seedlings now. For instance I understand what the germination rate means and why it's helpful to know that info.

That was all the sun allowed that day, but two tasks checked off the list–still an accomplishment.

Can't wait to see those little seeds grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment