Friday, June 22, 2012

4th of July came early!

Fireworks, giant flames, live music, hot boozy cider, lavender chocolate, fresh donuts, and a fergburger. Queenstown is the only place that makes me spend ridiculous amounts of money. Luckily the first three things on my list were free-all part of the winterfest, the largest winter party in the southern hemisphere-and they did deliver! The stage was set above the majestic lake Wanaka with the remarkables (mountains) as the background. A long and epic fireworks show was framed by shooting flames all along the edges of the lake while the band sang songs about heat and burning. It was pretty much super awesome. Though, the bands were mostly really... Quirky? One group in particular, sadly, reminded me of really bad musical theatre, while another act consisted on an opera singer belting out some supa badass notes while two pole dancers did their thing in skimpy white outfits behind her. And of course, I can't forget the strange man wearing a blue spandex suit who came out pretending to ride a rodey and then singing poorly and rolling around on stage. All the while I grooved and moved in between my two stoic mates who seemed more amused by me than the talent on stage. It was a good night for me, I think I'm growing out of my self conscious stage and I was able to dance in places where no one else was dancing without thinking "oh dear, other people are going to be watching me and thinking im an idiot." I did break to sip on some hot cider, which I was not ided for-woohoo-and to watch a couple couples doing some serious dancing out of the sidelines. It reminded me of my mum's ballroom classes. It was a really fun night, a good way to celebrate winter, I'd say. I do apologize for the lack of pictures though, I didn't bring my phone since it had to charge in the room. But the whole time the fireworks were going I was thinking "damn, I shoulda brought my camera." oh well-guess this is one night I'll just have to rely on memory for. Until next time-cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like no 4th of July celebration I've ever been to! Wild!!

    ReplyDelete