Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WO-AH

Sitting in Queenstown right now, and it just hit me how little time I have left in New Zealand!! Just one week ago I was so homesick I wanted to get on a plane and go home immediately, but now it's completely different!

Thinking back on my journey I realize how crazy of an adventure it truly was. Strangely, while it was happening I often felt underwhelmed by the journey, as if I wasn't doing enough to fullfill my expectations. But that's the way it always goes I guess. Now there are tears in my eyes and a giant smile on my face as I look at the pictures from the past crazy month. Jack and his crew have gone throughout nearly all of NZ in 4 short weeks and although there were some trying times, overall it has been incredible. I've seen amazing things and done some pretty heart stopping activities. My favorite of which was the tongariro alpine crossing, which took us high into the mountains and gave the most breathtaking views.

I jumped out of a plane, 12000 ft in the air and I explored the abundant forests at ground level. I rejoiced with my friends over free pudding at 8:00 pm, which barely satisfied our infinite cravings for chocolate. We've driven through the southern alps and stopped many times along the way to take in the sights and just "be." Even on low key days like yesterday where I spent the majority of my time on the internet organizing things, new experiences were abundant. Stefan and I ventured out in search of pavlova, a traditional kiwi dessert, and after a bit of a wild goose chase, found the scrumptious delicacy in a resteraunt called lone star, which had a roaring fire in the center and a very kind and humorous Maori waiter who made me feel like much much more than a poor dirty backpacker, especially when he brought me my glass of pinot gris wine on it's own platter and bent down for me to take it "madame,"

I know I still have 3 weeks left and I shouldn't yet be reminescing, however, the end of this part of my journey is nearly over. On Saturday the frenchies will drop stefan, piers, and I off in Invercargill and from there we'll find a way to get to our first wwoofing host. The jack clan will be split and the super fast crazy "see NZ!" will be over. A couple weeks of wwoofing, a show in Auckland, and some partying with friends, and then home. I simply can't believe it.

At least I had some time to relax and think of the future whilst in fox glacier. After the trek on the ice during the day, we came back to the hostel and jumped into the hot tub located on the back deck amidst a forrest at the base of a mountain. Pure Awesome.

I don't wanna leave. But you can bet I'll be thoroughly enjoying these last few weeks.

Much love!

1 comment:

  1. Someday maybe WE can to to NZ! You have me convinced of its beauty and wonder, and I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete