Sunday, June 24, 2012

Woes of a backpacker

I believe if I've had one-on-one conversations with you, I've probably said this to you already, but now I'm here to let you all know: backpacking is quite often extremely hard, both mentally and physically. Today was one of those days that tested me. After a full heavy night filled with loud Scottish men and too much booze, I woke up at about 8 to say goodbye, for good, to the frenchies. I then went back to bed to try to continue sleeping off the dizziness that had yet to leave my vision. As I lay there I realized this was the first time I'd really been alone in NZ since the first few hours in Auckland (before I met piers), and that I had no idea what I was doing that day. But after an hour I finally started to move, figuring out the steps as I went along. I ended up in a park waiting for Gigi and wani to come find me, that was pleasant as the sun was out and I had a book to read. We then went to the I site so I could book a bus to ashburton... That was where I was going to wwoof for a couple days. The threee of us then hung around until about 1:30 when I went to the bus stop. Now you see, the bus was supposed to leave at 2:05 and you're supposed to get there 15 mins before that-so, being punctual and paranoid, I got there about 20 mins early. By 2:40 I knew something was wrong, so I went back to the I site and the woman at the desk called the bus company, who reported that they'd stopped at 2:06, didn't see anyone, so left. WTF? I was then told to go to the intercity building on the other side of town (where I stayed last night). I arrived there and the woman was very concerned, saying she wanted me to get a free 5:30 bus but her boss wouldn't let her do that. SO she called her boss and had ME talk to her, which ended up doing... Nothing. And that is how I wasted most of my day and a good 25 bucks. Strangely, when I went outside of the intercity place to have a bit of a pity cry a dog came up to me and insisted we play ball. Dogs never fail to cheer me up! So I picked up my sorry self, and tried to figure out what the next step was. As I was homeless again (no hostel), I went back to the park to make some calls and had another wwoofing place to go... But in order to get there I'd have to take a bus to Riccarton (?) then walk to 65 peer st, go into the new world and ask for Hooman, who would then give me a ride to the place I'm staying...! Because this is already a ridiculously long post, I'll save you the time and end it here saying: maneuvering that was really long and complicated, requiring me to walk back across to the other side of the city again, pay another 4 bucks, and sit outside in the coldand dark for over an hour. But now, I'm sitting in new world (btw, that's the supermarket) waiting for Hooman to finish his shift. It's been a tiring day, but i survived, even though after the failed bus I felt like giving up... I missed being able to just call someone for help. But I'm in charge of myself now, totally. I can't rely on friends or family, so the only thing I could do was keep on goin, figuring shit out. And yeah, perhaps this can happen to anyone, even those who are not backpackers, however you must remember that literally all day I was carrying everything I currently own on me. I was a walking house... My shoulders have never been so sore. Bah-but it's all worked out, I made it through! Now I'm off to a warm home with a nice family. But I do miss my own home quite a lot, and I am so ready to stop moving all the time!! Really really ready to not be homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment