Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Glamourous Life

So glamourous, I get to wear a plastic apron and a hair net for 9 hours a day.

I work in a factory. I've had 1 and a half days of work and I'm already sick of it, but hey, I didn't expect anything different.

I had the opportunity to choose between working in the fields or working in the packhouse and although it did pain me a bit, I chose the factory work. Simply because it means that I'll be working more, ergo, earning more money, and that's my whole reason for being in Kerikeri anyway. Both jobs would've sucked, but this one is much more stable.

And honestly, it's a very interesting experience, I mean... I never would have imagined that my first job would be working in a factory! I keep thinking about all the horrible stories of people working in sweatshops and I feel a strange connection to them. Though, of course, not any justified connection as I am treated well. There's even free tea, coffee, hot cocoa, and cookies! When you're a backpacker that's a big deal!

Yesterday was my first full day of work and I ended up doing an hour of overtime, so my day was: wake up at 6, start work at 7, and get off work at 5:30. It was a long laborous day, but I earned about 100 dollars that day, which almost pays for my weeks rent.

I guess I'm pretty settled now. I've got my home, my family/friends, my job. Life is pretty steady and I often still have to remind myself that I'm in New Zealand. I'd much rather be out and about exploring the country, but I'll feel much better actually starting my travels with a legit budget.

I did get really overwhelmed by constantly being around people for 2 weeks and decided to head out on my own to explore the surrounding areas of Kerikeri. I left around 2 and went to the library until 4:30 and was walking around various forresty areas until about 7:30. When I arrived home everyone flipped out. Apparantly they didn't know where I had gone and were worried sick about me. They tried calling me but I wasn't answering and they told me that they were going to wait another 1/2 hour and if I didn't turn up they were sending out a search party to find me.

heh heh... I guess I can't escape that kind of thing anywhere I go. ;) Even if I'm in NZ.

Reminds me of the buffalo wild wings incident.

Anyways, there isn't all that much to report. Just day to day things. Packing kiwis, making dinner, everyone openly wondering how the hell I eat as much as I do and stay as small as I am.

I'm honestly too tired to write much more. I apologize for the less than enthusiastic post, I've just not gotten decent sleep recently what with Doug's b-day party and a 6am wake up call the next morning.

But my love is sent. I'm quite well and I am enjoying my time.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment